Thursday

Siege On AKHA : Senate orders committee on police affairs to present report within 48 hrs

Written by Endurance Johnnson

Following the Point of order raised by Senator Bassey Albert (Akwa Ibom North East) on the floor of the Senate, the Senate has ordered its committee on police affairs to present its report on the invasion of AKSHA within 48 hours
Senator Bassey Albert intimated the Senate as follows:

“Thank you Mr. President. My distinguished and respected colleagues. I come under Order 43.

“I rise to update the Senate on the state of affairs of Akwa Ibom State. I come under this order because I believe that the Committee on Police Affairs is still carrying out their investigations

“Mr President, I brought to the attention of this Senate last Wednesday about the siege in the House of Assembly aided by the Nigerian Police. Mr President, this Senate upon deliberation on my motion directed the immediate vacation of the House of Assembly by the police.

“Mr President, just yesterday at about the hour of 6am, a contingent of over 100 mobile policemen led the five suspended members of the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly into the premises and chambers of the House of Assembly.

“Mr. President, it is on record that no member of the 21 authentic members of the House of Assembly nor the staff of the Assembly or any public officials were allowed into the premises of the House of Assembly. I can say here authoritatively because I was not in this chamber yesterday, I was in Akwa Ibom. I saw it myself. I was in the premises of the Akwa Ibom State House House of Assembly with the Governor.

“Mr President, I can say it authoritatively that the recently posted Commissioner of Police to Akwa Ibom led this operation. And I must also state here Mr President that upon hearing this issue, and the incident in the House of Assembly, because based on the standing rule of the Assembly, the Assembly was supposed to sit at the hours of 10am. One then begins to wonder how on earth can the Commissioner of Police who is expected to maintain peace and order in the state can lead a contingent of policemen at 6am yesterday to invade the House of Assembly

(Interruption by Senator Jubril Barau, but Senate President asks Senator Bassey Albert to continue his update)

“Thank you Mr. President... I have with me here the court ruling from the Federal High Court Akwa Ibom. I am going to lay it before this Senate. I also have with me here photograph of militants with false military uniform and AK47 rifles. I will also lay it before the Senate. I also have with me here pictures of thugs that were arrested and ordered to be released by the Commissioner of Police.


“Just yesterday, the Akwa Ibom State House of Assembly moved a motion with a general consensus that the Commissioner of Police must vacate Akwa Ibom State in 24 hours. We don’t need the Commissioner of Police. The Commissioner of Police is not in the state to maintain peace and order. He is there to cause chaos and mayhem in line and plans of APC in Akwa Ibom State”.

(Senator Bassey Albert moves to lay the report)

Consequent on the above report, The Senate ordered its committee on police affairs to present its report on the invasion of AKHA within 48 hours .

No comments:

Post a Comment